Look what Patrick Howard Antiques has put up for sale on-line:
569. Novelty Walking Stick Carved Ivory Dog Jonathan Howell Silver Collar Hallmark 1885
Stylish Victorian Gentleman’s Novelty Mallaca Shaft Walking Cane by Jonathan Howell.
The “L” Shaped Ivory Grip hand carved as the head of a Dog snarling with bared teeth and a buckled collar, complete with its original twin glass eyes. The quality of carving is exceptional. The ornately chased Sterling Silver collar engraved “JOHN THOMPSON KENDAL”
Mark of JH for Jonathan Howell of J. Howell & Co. Cane & Stick manufacturers Old Street, London.
London Assay Mark for 1885
Condition: Good condition with nice patination, original bi-metal ferrule, end steel part is a little worn. There is a loss to part of the nose area.
Length: 36.5” (92.5cm). Width: (of handle) 3.75" (9.5cm).
Location: Dublin City, Ireland.
Worldwide Store to door shipping.
The Henry Howell Walking Stick Legacy
In its time, the cane manufacturer known as Henry Howell & Company, London. was the largest and one of the world’s most prestigious makers of fine walking sticks. Their canes are much sought after by collectors today and are often, but not always, identified by the distinctive Henry Howell Co. badge or button. This is a small (1/4” to 3/8”) brass disc inlaid into the wood of the shaft and stamped with the maker’s mark. Howell canes that which pre-date the use of this marker can also be identified by the initials JH incised on either the ferrule or the collar.
The Howell shop, established at number 76 Aldersgate in London in 1832 by John Howell, was highly regarded among Londoners and featured high-class hosiery and a variety of fashion accessories. After John’s wife, Sarah, died in 1851, the shop was jointly operated by John, his son Henry, and daughter Amelia. A few years later, a nephew, Jonathan, was recruited as apprentice from a branch of the family living in Wiltshire. Among the high end accessories offered in the family business would have been a line of fashionable walking canes.
In 1859, Henry married a widow named Sarah Akerman, whose first husband had been a manufacturer of walking sticks for the wholesale market. Three years later, Henry had left the family shop at Aldersgate and established a cane merchandising concern under his own name on Old Street in London in a building formerly occupied by James Thomas Akerman, a long time manufacturer of walking sticks, parasols, and umbrellas. It is unclear whether Henry purchased and took over the existing cane works, or if he began anew merely occupying the site of the former manufactory. What is known is that Henry Howell & Company flourished as a business, expanded rapidly to become one of the world’s leaders in the production of high quality walking sticks, and made Henry Howell a very wealthy man.
In 1867, Jonathan, the sole remaining proprietor of the original family store on Aldersgate, closed shop and joined his cousin Henry in the manufacturing of canes. Henry and Jonathan continued to expand the firm together until 1888, when Henry, a childless widower, died and left everything he owned to Jonathan. By 1895, Henry Howell & Co. employed 460 people and declared itself the largest single manufacturer of walking sticks in the world. The business continued to thrive for many more years under the able stewardship of Jonathan Howell and probably reached its pinnacle around 1910. Henry Howell & Co., however, was destined to suffer greatly in the wake of the great World War. A devastating loss of many of the skilled laborers needed to man the factory, along with a simultaneous somber turning away of the public’s taste for the frivolities of fashion, and further accompanied by an unfortunate series of dry winters that decimated the umbrella portion of the business, all worked together to drain the company of its assets, weakening its financial position in the years between the wars. Shortly after Jonathan Howell’s death in 1934, the new directors, in a desperate effort to maintain a forward-looking position, invested the remainder of the company’s cash reserves in the building of a new factory at Burnt Oak, Hendon. The project quickly floundered and Henry Howell & Co. went into receivership and was no more. But many of the thousands of beautifully crafted Howell canes produced in the company’s happier days can still be found in antique shops and make a welcome treasure to any collector appreciative of the history of walking sticks.