Superb Example of French Ormolu & Bronze Cast Model of the Warwick Albani Vase, circa 1860. Mounted on a heavy square dark grey stepped marble base.
After the Antique, the vase on waisted reeded socle, cast with classical heads and reeded entwined twin handles, complete with original gilt liner, raised on a heavy circular black and dark green and white veined marble base. Back and front views are alike.
Condition: Superb untouched condition with no losses or dents, few flea bites to base marble, nice surface patination to bronze.
Height: 7.75" (20cm). Width: (at widest) 10.75" (27.5cm). Diameter Marble base: 6" (15cm).
The Warwick Vase was found in fragments by Gavin Hamilton in 1769–1770 digging in the silts of Lake Pantanello in the grounds of the Villa Tiburtina, the villa of the Roman Emperor Hadrian outside Rome. It was restored in 1772–1774 by Grandjacquet to designs by Piranesi for Sir William Hamilton, who gave it to George Greville, Earl of Warwick. The Vase stood in the courtyard of Warwick Castle for almost two centuries until it was purchased for The Burrell Collection in 1979. A monumental marble sculpture in the form of a two-handled drinking cup, it is decorated with acting masks and motifs relating to the cult of the Roman god of wine, Bacchus (the Greek god Dionysos).
The Vase was one of many fine sculptures with which Hadrian (who ruled the Roman Empire from 117 to 138) adorned the gardens of his palatial villa. The Dionysian imagery of many of these sculptures evoked the pleasures of life enjoyed through good wine and feasting. Since its rediscovery the Warwick Vase has been a major source of inspiration for the Neo-Classical school in the decorative arts in Britain.
We have please offering this very fine example cast is crisp relief for sale on-line.
Catalogued by Patrick Howard.