A Very Stylish Single German Rudolstadt Hand Painted Porcelain Vase of Ovoid Outline and impressive proportions, last quarter of the Nineteenth Century.
With heavily gilded scrolling handles, superbly decorated with alternating lobed panels of floral sprays and leaves and fruits and berries in relief. The waisted neck in lines of celeste blue and gilt with beaded rim, original cover with gilt knop finial, ending with similar decoration to circular spreading bases on square supports.
Condition: Superb condition for such early pieces, no restoration or wear to gilding anywhere except slightly at high points. Impressed base mark RW for period 1887-1918.
Height: (entirean impressive) 9.75” (24.75cm). Width: (across handles) 5.75” (14.5cm). Width: (at base) 2.5" (6.5cm).
Shipped to Canterbury, Kent, England.
The history of Rudolstadt Porcelain goes back to 1869 when the German company Lazarus Straus & Sons was established to sell imported ceramics. The Younger member of this partnership Nathan Strauss must have had a very good entrepreneurial mind because in 1874 it seems he managed to form a business agreement with none other than R.H.Macy’s & Co. New York.
This business relationship between Nathan Strauss and Macey’s allowed Lazarus Straus & Sons retail space in every Macey’s store, thus opening up the US export market. This actually led to the formation of a US company, New York and Rudolstadt Pottery Co. Inc. 1882. This US company traded in the porcelain manufactured in and shipped over from the German factory, which functioned independently from its US partner. To meet the growing demand of its growing export market Lazarus Straus & Sons expanded, opening decorating studios in France and Bohemia giving rise to L.S.& S. Limoges’ and the Austrian ‘L.S.&S. Carlsbad. Both these decorating studios used their own decorators mark. However, the mark used in Germany revolved around a crown over a shield shaped lozenge containing the letters RW for Rudolstadt Works. Variations of this mark were used between 1895 and 1924, with a more ornate version being used between 1900 and 1918.
The quality of the porcelain and the quality of the painting was superb and Lazarus Straus & Sons porcelain rivaled the very best porcelain manufactured across Europe and the US.